As I write this, it’s been almost 24 hours since the
first reports came of a Malaysia Airlines jet shot down over Ukraine hit the
headlines.
As I write this, Israel has invaded Gaza.
As I write this, scores of other atrocities and
injustices are happening across the world. Atrocities and injustices that are
happening because we have forgotten our purpose here on earth.
This is a tragedy beyond belief and I have no words for it. I am numb beyond my senses and speechless over the loss of yet so many innocent lives. I cried for a long time and into my sleep. So many lives who will never see their dream come through, so many lives who will not see their goals met and so many lives who could have contributed to humanity and the health of this world lost forever.
My heart bleeds to hear of yet another daughter or son asking when mummy or daddy coming home, knowing that it's the most heartbreaking answer to give and the silence and the tears that follows.
No goal, no vision, no struggle, no believe and no conviction is able to justify this loss. How many more daddies are not going to come home anymore? How many mummies and sisters and brothers are never going to come home?
I wondered when we would ever stop our penchant for
anger, hate and war. I grieved
for children and families in conflict zones. I grieved for the lives lost due
to anger, hate and war that were happening around the world. It's not just
planes that are shot down, it's people in planes. People in homes. People in
trains, on beaches, in buildings... People...
At the end of the day, everything that we are
willing to fight for in this world, nothing remains. Our lives are transitory
bits. Nothing in this world that we live, cry and die for so passionately in
the name of family, ethnicity or even politics will remain with us when we meet
our Maker.
Our soul mates, our family. Our prized possessions.
Land. Diamonds. Money. Everyone and everything on earth perishes in the end and
we are left with nothing but our souls and our connection with the Divine.
And repeatedly, we have fallen. Fallen prey to the 5
thieves that are present in any human being. Lust, rage, greed, attachment and
ego. We have allowed these thieves to take control of our senses. Under the
guises of name, nationality, ethnicity and religion, under the excuse of
acquiring "what rightfully belongs to us", we have allowed ourselves
to become divine beings filled with anger, greed and pride.
If we can learn something from the MH17 tragedy, it
is that human greed and pride never pays. Greed for more land, more power. Ego
and pride in wanting to be the best, in wanting to be in control. But greed and
pride lead to nothing but loss. Loss of life. Loss of our very own conscience
as human beings who were put on earth to lead, protect and thrive.
So, together with other peace-minded individuals and
groups, I choose to pray. To pray for souls, living and at rest. To pray for
peace and hope amidst suffering. To pray for forgiveness. To pray for kindness.
There is enough anger, hate and nonchalance in the world as it is. Let’s choose
and pray for love instead.
Rest in peace my brothers and sisters of the world as time will heal and but you will never be forgotten.